Wednesday, January 28, 2009

study break/feeding time

i spent most of last night with a dead, imprisoned Italian Marxist (like you do) - but a man has to eat. so i went to a Vietnamese restaurant for a bowl of soup...

the server saw the beads on my wrist and told me back in Vietnam they are made of tamarind seeds. he elaborated that the wood from the tamarind is used to make cutting boards because it is "very, very strong."

i listened intently and then asked him how vegetarian was their vegetarian soup. he told me that vegetarian meant vegetarian to him: no beef, no chicken, no fish. i placed my order, and as he walked away saying that he had never seen anyone wear their beads like that before...

he returned with a specially-made soup, "not on the menu," with basil leaves still on the stem and fresh limes. he told me this was for "extra flavor" and i thanked him for his generosity.

it was Pho-nomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment