Wednesday, December 8, 2010

doppelganger and demi-colons

i slept poorly last night, caught between double-stuffed and half-baked dreams without an Oreo or Ben or Jerry in sight. i cringe reading that – apparently branding and consumption have colonized my vocabulary even more thoroughly than i suspected. David Harvey would probably have something to say about this:



but this is beside the point.

the point is that the first dream, the double-stuffed one, featured not only my yin, but also my yin's doppelganger. i would be hard-pressed to tell you which one (if either) was the real her, but the three of us were in some anonymous hotel room with two double beds, not unlike the one we shared in Gainesville a month ago. one yin was in each, and i was trying to crawl in with either of them.

both were completely unresponsive to my advances.




in the second dream i was presenting at some conference as a guest teacher. an authority figure pulls me from the main meeting hall and takes me outside, telling me that my application was deficient in some way. he has completely misconstrued my writing and intent, but i say nothing, listening quietly before disappearing back to the hotel room.

my yin is not in this one, but the half-baked dream takes the same geographical location as the double-stuffed. part of the perks of this conference include a free teeth cleaning, and i go visit a disinterested dentist housed on campus. he cleans only half of my teeth – the upper left quadrant and the lower right – and i walk out of his office obsessing about the lack of balance in my mouth.



i see little meaning in these dreams, but find their mathematical proportions exceptionally curious. why twice as many? why half as much? is it a response to the pleasantly chilly weather of the past two days? or perhaps because i turned in the second chapter of my thesis last week? i'll be working two jobs on campus next semester, maybe that's it.

maybe it's none of these things. maybe it's random scraps from this lazy week of waiting. maybe it's just the mind's way of finding another way to make two out of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment