Wednesday, July 9, 2008

i have lust in my heart...

for my friend's new computer.

i have had Mac envy since the late Nineties, and over the past decade every time i've stood at the precipice of taking the plunge i've pulled back, afraid that it just wouldn't be there for me in the future.

things started to change this past December.

i downloaded iTunes on my PC, but it sat on my desktop uninstalled for more than a month. i didn't want to convert file formats. i didn't want to be stuck with a software i didn't like. i didn't want to be that guy. so i made duplicate copies of every mp3 on my computer - thousands and thousands of songs. but eventually i mustered the moxy...

it changed my life.

i bought an iPod, i started visiting the Mac website, i started thinking about buying a computer even though it wasn't time yet. worst of all, people started coming into my life who were Mac users. but these were not the emotional, PC-bashing, militant Macophytes from college. they were level-headed adults who spoke of their MacBooks with the same quiet confidence i use when speaking of my favorite pen (Pilot Precise V5). and then my friend - the one whose computer i covet - made the switch. she had been a PC girl all her life, and now her transition could serve as an experiment to see what happens.

now i find myself, blogging in one tab, pricing Macs in the other...

No comments:

Post a Comment