Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Stairs

P_________,

Last night your mother (my yin) and I had a moment on the stairs outside your room You were playing in your crib, staring at your mobile, and she and I sat outside, waiting to see how long you would entertain yourself, hoping that you might accidentally soothe yourself to sleep. We leaned against each other,  and it seemed the first moment that we fully shared as both a couple and a family. It was one of those moments whose hazy image becomes etched forwards and backwards in time, and I was overcome by the realization that years from now, this image of us - tired and satisfied, youthful and aging, two and three - would be one that expands beyond those few minutes on the stairs and becomes a synecdoche for these first months of your infancy and our life as parents.

I woke the following morning (this morning) at 4 a.m. thinking these things and how I wanted to share with you how amazing that single moment was before it balloons and colonizes those that came before and after. It has been such a gift to have you join us, and I still find myself struggling to put into words what it has meant to me and your mother... but at least this is a start.  Love,

D__

No comments:

Post a Comment