Saturday, September 13, 2008

a change in plans (my life as post-modernism)

i was going to write about kiwi, grapes, and the joys of a sweet tooth while watching Kar Wai Wong - but then i decided to read my homework.

i came across the term "budoir slander" in an 85 year old text on stereotypes, and my mind turned to the stunning pictures my sister sent me this morning from Baltimore. she's wearing the smile that nearly made me fall in love last July, when we ate falafel and listened to morose middle-aged Manchesterites. these were the high summer days, before we knew we ran the risk of incest, before i fell for her best friend, before she rejected me on "spiritual grounds."

i came across the term "budoir slander" in an 85 year old text on stereotypes, and my mind turned to the letter i received from Mardou this afternoon. she described 16 year old bubble gum kisses in a tone that made me fall in love last August, when we picked up my sister at the airport and sat in awkward parking garage silences. these were the late summer days, before i knew i ran the risk of distraction, before i realized how far i had fallen, before we spent the next two seasons not speaking.

i came across the term "budoir slander" in an 85 year old text on stereotypes, and my mind turned to the woman from whom i first heard of Kar Wai Wong. she had a poster of 2046 in her bedroom that makes me fall in love all over again this September night, when i watch the lush of color and the rush of women pass the author's gaze. these are the end days of summer, after the departure, after le denouement, after the need to run this experiment has come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment