Friday, November 11, 2016

on Wednesday

Mourning
[sic]
I woke
soul-
sick 
and nauseous
remembering the night before

when I told my three-year old daughter:
tomorrow 
there may be a lady president;

that she might be president someday

if she wanted.

I was overcome by the realization:
her first memories
of the presidency will be of
him
of pussy-grabbing fame
the wall-builder
endorsed by the KKK
the star-spangled banner waning
[sic]
over Mar-a-Lago some years ago
the Muslim banner waxing some years to come.

The bad hombres and
nasty women
have been sharing their
sorrow and fear
and it struck me:
if
things had gone differently
the outpouring would have been
vim and vengeance.

They are all right:
the system is broken
a broken man will lead it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious Jeremy, did you vote? I know how yo have felt about it in the past.

    ReplyDelete