Monday, July 12, 2010

quantum love story

two years ago (today) i went with Saylor and a (future) mutual friend to stroll art galleries in north Miami. along the way, i learned that my (future) mutual friend was a (present) mutual friend of the woman i was trying, with limited success, to date.

but this is beside the point.

the point is that the events of that evening eventually gave rise to the poem below; and the poem below, in turn, ultimately gave rise to a forthcoming chapbook.

in full disclosure though, a less poetic, more immediate version of these events lives here; the author does not pretend to know which assortment of words constitutes greater authenticity.


quantum love story


We watched quarks falling in love with neutrinos,
dancing in and out of existence in the skies over Miami.



Once upon a time we were like



but last night we talked about
love with the lights on:

“There is more than enough time for everything.”

Chasing nostalgia and remembering
the lies we tell ourselves when
we’re young and in love.

A cut-up in my head:


missing my sister in rain-soaked galleries


missing my sister in rain-soaked galleries


missing my sister in rain-soaked galleries

Nothing can be written that compares to dusk from the
abandoned high rises overlooking the Bay of Biscayne;



I knew nothing of knock-breathed Wynwood, lies and doubt.

It’s hard to see, searching for poetry
in lust in truth in love. Words are just
letters; sometimes they have meaning.

(I tried to tell her:)


The whole
universe
lives in
the
center
of a rose.


I bent to kiss it and it was gone, she couldn’t

hear me through the murmuring of her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment