Saturday, June 6, 2009

(me+technology)/manicure

i just bought a new computer monitor, and i am presently learning the joys of dual displays. my faith in technology has been somewhat restored after yesterday afternoon's fiasco, when i tried to convince Adobe that i wasn't as dumb as it thought i was.

apparently i was wrong, however, and today i found some measure of satisfaction when my new gizmo worked as soon as i plugged it in -
no drivers, no installation, no futzing, no tutorials, no nothing.
(as opposed to the Know Nothings).
but this is beside the point.

the point is that my yin is in the bedroom, and she just called out that we have a manicure appointment in less than two weeks. i'm really not certain what a manicure entails, but i suppose this development is ultimately of my own making, attributable to my decision to stop biting my nails several months ago.

after devoting more than two decades of my life to the vile habit, i had long since given up hope of ever keeping my filthy fingers out of my mouth. then, one day on the way to eat Indian food with a meditating rabbinical psychotherapist, a friend of mine asked,
"can your fingers look like mine in two months?"

i looked at his hands, unbitten and chaste.
"what, you mean stop biting my nails?"

"no, don't stop doing anything. just make them look like mine."

six weeks later, the nail biting was over.
five months after that, the manicures began.

1 comment:

  1. couple coats of sally hansen's "hard as nails"'ll do you... unless you were a paste-eater, then you might enjoy the taste...

    ReplyDelete